The IMA Data Science Fellowship is a highly-selective training program designed to prepare Ph.D. students near graduation and recent postdoctoral mathematicians to become successful data science professionals. Based in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, the program is a partnership between the Institute for Mathematics and its Applications (IMA) and Amlana, a cloud and data science consulting company.
The eight-week program is organized as follows:
- Weeks 1-3: Fellows learn basic techniques and tools in data science
- Weeks 4-7: Fellows work in teams of two on real-world industrial projects proposed by partner companies
- Week 8: Fellows present final projects at the company’s site
At the end of the program, fellows will have several options:
- Seek employment in industry - the IMA will provide contacts and leads to positions
- Seek employment with one of Amlana’s partner companies in this program
- Continue to build data science experience as an Associate Consultant with Amlana
Why do this fellowship when there are other options?
- The program is specifically designed for Ph.D. mathematicians.
- The IMA has more than 20 years of experience collaborating with industry.
- Selected fellows will be asked to complete a pre-program course of study on their own.
- Tentative training curriculum:
- Overview and foundation
- Big data concepts and ecosystem
- Cloud services
- Data visualization
- Data science basics - statistical methods and machine learning
- Recommender systems and natural language processing
Projects will be sought from Amlana partner companies. Fellows will work in teams of two on the projects. Support, mentoring, and resources will be provided throughout the project period.
A stipend of $5,000 is provided to support living expenses for the period of the program. Travel expenses incurred during the last week to visit out-of-town companies will be reimbursed.
- Ph.D. in the mathematical sciences within the last five years, or students within six months of graduating
- Strong communications skills
- Strong programming experience in at least one language
- Currently residing in the U.S.
- Background in probability and statistics
- Project experience in computational science or data analysis
- Experience in handling data sets
To apply, please supply the following materials through the link at the top of the page:
- Resume (two pages, maximum)
- Cover letter describing your qualifications and interest in data science
- Recommendation letter (must address the applicant's abilities and potential as a data scientist)
Selected participants will be contacted by Friday, December 16, 2016.
Amlana provides big data analysis, business intelligence, and data science solutions for retail, healthcare, financial services, and manufacturing. It is a start-up based in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.