April 11, 2010
(1) Geophysical fluids: phenomenology and dynamics of
rotating, stratified flow.
(2) Potential vorticity: Dynamic significance and kinematic
(3) Importance of mixing for maintenance of ocean pycnocline
and global overturning circulation: ocean energetics, a
little on thermocline theories and/or Sandstrom's theory.
(4) Tracer Observations in the ocean (and atmosphere):
Turbulent mixing from dye releases, maybe something on
surface stirring/mixing diagnostics from floats.
(5) Tracer cascades: theory and observational support.
(1) interaction of molecular diffusion with simple
unidirectional shear flows (bounded and unbounded domains).
(2) Limitation of the effective diffusion approximation to
long times and small domains, and low moments of the tracer
(3) Perhaps a geophysical example: shear diffusion in the
internal gravity wave field. The vertical tracer cascade of
Haynes & Anglade.
(4) Some examples of "pre-asymptotic" anomalous shear
diffusion e.g.,〈x2〉 ∼ t ln t due to the no-slip
condition, and 〈x2〉 ∼ t 3/2 in the example of de
Marsily & Matheron.